Since the 90s, Photoshop has been an essential application used by all photo editors and designers. The application has since upgraded itself to do a lot more. Its requirements have scaled quite a bit too.
In today’s article, we’ll be discussing the Best Desktop Computers For Photoshop. Our goal is to help you make the best buying decision possible.
To find the best desktop computers for Photoshop, we’ve spent more than forty hours in research, writing, and editing. We did our best to create a selection criteria (i.e., what factors to look for in a desktop), based on the opinion of experts and user feedback. We then graded each of the products we recommended with a score of 1 to 10 on each criterion.
We have also provided scenario-specific options (such as the best overall computer, the best desktop for professionals, the best budget, and more). These specific use case scenarios will tremendously help users to select an excellent desktop computer.
How To Choose the Best Desktop Computers For Photoshop
Since Photoshop is a CPU and GPU-intensive application, we tried to factor in the things that we believe would affect those aspects of a desktop computer. Throughout the time we searched for the proper selection criteria, we tried to maintain an optimal decision-making process.
CPU, also known as the central processing unit, is the electronic circuitry that executes the user’s various commands. It’s popularly known as a processor. Since Photoshop intensifies the usage of Cores and faster clock speed, we’ll be discussing both of these things in detail.
We’ll define them and we’ll also tell you what the ideal values of these selection criteria are.
Cores are also known as the heart of the computer. All of the commands are executed by these cores. If a processor has multi-cores, each of them performs different kinds of tasks at once.
You’d want a minimum quad-core CPU for your photoshop tasks. Anything above that would be even better. Since Photoshop is used to create different layers and different projects at once, it’ll be very helpful to have 4 cores.
In today’s article, we’ll be taking a look at processors that have core counts from 2 up to 10. All of the processors meet the minimum core count range.
Clock speed means how fast your processor can perform every minute. The more cycles your processor can perform, the better it is at quickly completing tasks. If the clock speed isn’t up to the mark, lag and loading times will increase.
Clock speed is measured by the term GHz (GigaHertz). If you want to run Photoshop, a minimum of 3 GHz clock speed is recommended. If your processor has the clock speed in the mentioned range, you won’t have to worry about lagging out.
Today we will be discussing processors that have clock speeds ranging from as low as 2.9 GHz up to a massive 5.6GHz.
RAM or Random Access Memory is the temporary data storage where the computer might need to memory access immediately or in the next few moments after initiating a task. Its processing time is lightning-fast. It determines what the user will access as soon as a command is made.
RAM is measured with GB (GigaBytes). Ideally, you’d want at least 8GB of RAM on your computer as advised by Adobe. Anything less than that will result in long loading time and applications not responding to commands.
In today’s article, we’ll be talking about computers that have rams between 8 to 32 GBs.
GPU is short for Graphics Processing Unit. It is a singular or collective set of chips that display graphics on the screen. GPU is very vital in terms of Photoshop as a large portion of higher editing depends on the video memory.
The first thing that you’d want to notice about a GPU is the model. If the model is fairly new or has been around for some time then it’ll be a good choice for you. The second thing that you need to know is the VRAM. Adobe demands your computer to have a minimum of 2GB RAM to run and execute Photoshop properly.
In today’s article, we’ll be having a look at a bunch of different GPUs. These GPUs will have VRAM ranging from 2 GB up to 8GB.
Computer data storage is mainly a recording media that is used to retain data whenever commanded. There are two types of storage, the SSD and the HDD. In terms of optimal performance for photoshop, your computer needs to have an SSD.
HDDs are better at storing data. But in terms of writing data constantly and booting up applications, an SSD is the ultimate choice for a Photoshop user. The applications will run much faster than HDDs.
In today’s article, we’ll be discussing computers that have SSDs ranging from as low as 256GB and as high as 1TB.
Based on the current market prices, we could divide the price ranges into three sections. They are given below. We can’t give an ideal price in this case as prices tend to fluctuate a lot.
- Low- $800<.
- Medium- $800 – $1550.
- High- $1550+
After much review and research, we’ve determined that the SkyTech Chronos is the best desktop computer for Photoshop. It comes at a decent price and meets all the recommended ranges for using Photoshop
- Best Desktop Computer Overall – SkyTech Chronos
- Best Desktop Computer For Mac Users – Apple iMac (2021)
- Best Mid-range Desktop computer for Photoshop – HP Pavilion
- Best Desktop for Professionals – MSI Aegis RS 10SE-011
- Best Budget Desktop For Photoshop– iBUYPOWER Pro Gaming
Best Desktop Computer Overall – SkyTech Chronos
- CPU – Intel Core i7-9700KF ( 8-cores and Up to 4.9GHz) – Our Score – 9.5/10
- GPU – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super (6GB VRAM) – Our Score – 9/10
- RAM – 16 GB DDR4 -Our Score – 9/10
- Storage – 1 TB SSD – Our Score – 9.5/10
- Price- $1100 -Our Score – 9/10
The best desktop computer without any doubt is the SkyTech Chronos. It has a very tempting set of components that are very great for using Photoshop. It also has the best selection criteria score among all of the desktop computers on this list.
The processing units are the best thing about this laptop if we were being honest. The 9th gen core-i7 processor and the 1660Super is a great combination for doing almost all kinds of tasks in Photoshop.
This desktop also has one of the highest amounts of SSD storage among desktop computers. The cooling systems are pretty good too as it doesn’t let the temperature rise much. The mesh and nearly see-through casing also provide good airflow with the help of a three-fan setup.
The price of this desktop is justified because all of the components of this desktop are of high quality and they all synergize together. Leaving out any one of these components will make the desktop a lot less valuable than it is.
- Excellent cooling systems with heatsinks and fans.
- The GPU and CPU synergize perfectly to run Photoshop.
- Massive SSD storage amount.
- Due to the high RAM count, applications run much smoother
- The fans are a bit loud while running.
Best Desktop Computer For Mac Users – Apple iMac (2021)
- CPU – Intel Core i5 ( 8-cores and Up to 2.9GHz) – Our Score – 8/10
- GPU – Radeon Pro 5000 (4GB VRAM) – Our Score – 9/10
- RAM – 8 GB DDR4 -Our Score – 8.5/10
- Storage – 256GB SSD – Our Score – 8.5/10
- Price- $1499 -Our Score – 9/10
Those who are Apple freaks can’t seem to be happy with other computers. For the residents of the Apple ecosystem, the best computer for Photoshop would be the Apple iMac (2021). This computer has decent components as well as selection criteria scores.
The iMac is different from other desktop computers in the sense that it also doubles down as a monitor. Users don’t have to pay for monitors unless they want another one. The iMac has a decent pair of CPU and GPUs. The high core count and large amount of Vram ensure that photo editing is as easy as it gets.
The display is one of the best as it uses the famous retina technology and true color from Apple. The visuals are much more vivid and color-accurate. The RAM and storage on the other hand meet the recommended ranges too.
- Easy to connect and use with other Apple devices.
- The GPU is quite powerful and can handle all sorts of graphic-intensive tasks with ease.
- Due to having a display, users won’t need another monitor
- Port selection is limited.
- Somewhat expensive for the features that are offered.
Best Mid-range Desktop computer for Photoshop – HP Pavilion
- CPU – AMD ryzen 5 3500 ( 6-cores and Up to 3.6GHz) – Our Score – 9/10
- GPU – AMD radeon RX 5500(4GB VRAM) – Our Score – 9/10
- RAM – 8 GB DDR4 -Our Score – 8.5/10
- Storage – 512GB SSD – Our Score – 9/10
- Price- $930 -Our Score – 9/10
The HP Pavilion lineup of desktop computers has always been known for being cost-effective. As this desktop has very good components and great selection criteria score as well, it’d be a perfect fit in your Photoshop creation journey.
The HP Pavilion is a great mid-range desktop in the sense that it doesn’t overdo anything. It doesn’t have the best CPU or GPU in the world, but it has the best CPU and GPU within its range.
The other components of this desktop are great too. It has the recommended amount of RAM and storage. While the cooling systems need a slight upgrade, we were still quite satisfied with the overall performance of this desktop in terms of running Photoshop.
- Due to the ideal amount of RAM and SSD, an application’s running and boot time are much faster.
- It has one of the best mid-range GPUs on the market.
- The CPU is powerful enough to handle CPU-intensive tasks in photoshop.
- The casing doesn’t have enough space for additional HDDs.
Best Desktop for Professionals – MSI Aegis RS 10SE-011
- CPU – Intel Core i9-10900KF ( 10-cores and Up to 5.6GHz) – Our Score – 10/10
- GPU – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (8GB VRAM) – Our Score – 9.5/10
- RAM – 32 GB DDR4 -Our Score – 10/10
- Storage – 1 TB SSD – Our Score – 9.5/10
- Price- $2500 -Our Score – 8/10
If you’re a professional Photoshop user who needs the best possible desktop to handle all the intensive tasks every day, you need to go for the MSI Aegis. This desktop is the most powerful one we’ve seen so far and the selection criteria scores speak for themselves.
The MSI Aegis comes with one of the strongest CPUs available. This CPU can handle any sort of intensive task the photoshop application might throw at it. It’s the same with the GPU too as the GPU is also one of the flagship ones from the last gen.
This desktop has quite a generous amount of storage as the users get a 2TB HDD on top of a 1TB SSD. The RAM count is also the highest we’ve seen among any desktop so far. It uses a liquid cooling system and the temperature doesn’t even rise a bit even under pressing situations.
- It has one of the most powerful CPU and GPU combinations out there.
- Generous storage options are offered by the desktop.
- An excellent liquid cooling system doesn’t let the temperature rise even for one bit.
- Very expensive
Best Budget Desktop For Photoshop- iBUYPOWER Pro Gaming
- CPU – AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ( 6-cores and Up to 4.2GHz) – Our Score – 9/10
- GPU -AMD Radeon RX 550 (2GB VRAM) – Our Score – 8/10
- RAM – 8 GB DDR4 -Our Score – 8.5/10
- Storage – 256TB SSD – Our Score – 8.5/10
- Price- $750 -Our Score – 9/10
If you’re on a budget and want a desktop for your Photoshop purposes then I suggest you go for the Desktop From iBuypower. That desktop has decent specs to run Photoshop properly. While the selection criteria scores aren’t the best, they are enough to run photoshop well enough.
This computer has the Ryzen 3600 Processor which is quite good for mid-range photo editing and similar creative tasks. To max out performance from this processor, we recommend you overclock it.
Aside from that, all of the other components match the minimum required scores to run Photoshop. The computer has a smooth UI and the applications run faster due to the availability of the SSD. If the user prefers to exchange the SSD for an HDD, it is possible but we don’t recommend that.
- The price is quite affordable.
- It has a good mid-range processor that can handle all sorts of CPU-intensive applications.
- The processor is easy to overclock, the extra clock speed boost will help the computer to run Photoshop even more smoothly.
- The cooling system needs an upgrade.
This puts an end to our guide regarding the best desktop computers for photoshop. In today’s article, We discussed how you can pick a desktop for Photoshop. We also gave out scenario-specific recommendations which will help our readers buy their desired product.
In the first portion, we discussed what are the things to keep in mind while buying a desktop for Photoshop. We explained why things such as the CPU, GPU, RAM, storage, and others matter so much. We also explained how to measure each of the selection criteria along with recommended ranges for each of them.
We then mentioned some of the recommendations regarding desktop for Photoshop. All of these desktops match our selection criteria. We have given scores for each of the laptops based on these selection criteria. We have also given scenario-specific uses for each of them.
Thanks for reading, hope our suggestion helps you fetch your desired product.